Topic: For Users - How to use the Carnatic Composer

The overarching goal is to keep the interface as simple as possible, so you can enter your first song with minimal coaching and listen to it in short order.  Here are the steps to enter a song and play it.

1. Make sure you have at least one Track input window showing.  If not, click "Add a track"

2. Enter notes using standard Carnatic notation with English transcription.  E.g. S plays the note Sa in the 4th octave. 

3. To make a note last twice as long, simply elongate the word using any characters.  However, I recommend the convention that you repeat the letter that completes the note as many times as you need.  E.g. Saaa plays twice as long as Sa, which plays twice as long as S.

4. A pause is denoted by one or more dashes.  Pauses can be elongated in the same way as a note can.

5. To move to the next higher octave, use >.  To move to the  next lower octave, use <.  In either case you may likewise lengthen these words to jump multiple octaves too.  E.g. << shifts two octaves below the current one.  Ensure you have spaces around the octave control word.  For example, remember to not accidentally specify ">Sa" instead of "> Sa".

6. You can annotate your notes by using C-style comments.  Anything between the special character sequences /* and */ will not be interpreted or played by the system.

7. That's it.  Click "Play all Tracks" and hear your melody.  You can fiddle with the note duration using the slider dynamically, switch ragas to listen to your melody in different scales, etc.

8. Well, that should get you up and running.  The rest is for you to experiment, discover, and if we're lucky, to implement!

9. In the near future, I hope we can make the notes sound less clunky, and introduce embellishments and gamakas.  E.g. I'm thinking that we could augment the grammar so that ~Ga would play a version of Ga that is embellished in a particular way.

10. Enjoy

PS.  Oh, BTW, you can denote a specific Piano note to play by transcribing it with the following grammar - :<NoteName><Octave>:<Length>.  For example, ":C3:2" denotes a C in the 3rd octave played for 2 units of time, and ":D#4:5" denotes a D# in the 4th octave played for 5 units of time.